Canada Rehabilitation

Home > Canada Rehabilitation

Canada Personal Rehabilitation


This concerns individuals, who have problems entering Canada, due to a past criminal record in another country.

If you feel that you may have a problem with this, it is strongly recommended that you  get in contact with a specialist immigration lawyer. They will have the experience and expertise to quickly and thoroughly process your case. They will collect together all the necessary paper work.  This will be properly presented and organized.  This will considerably help you, when you come to submit your claim for the right of entry into Canada.

Deemed Rehabilitation

This covers older criminal records. Also, note, this will be dealt with at the port of entry to Canada.

You will eligible if:

  • You have had only one conviction.
  • Your conviction was at least 10 years before wanting to enter Canada.
  • The whole process has been completed.  Obviously, your jail time will be completed. There should be no outstanding fines or fees.   This includes any other outstanding matters that might have been related to the case.
  • If the offense in question was not considered a serious offense under Canadian law, then this could well be a mitigating factor.  However, most cases in the United States that are deemed a felony, would be thought of as a serious criminal offense under Canadian Law.
  • The offense or conviction should not have involved fire arms. There should be not be any physical harm. There must be no damage to property.
Streamlined Rehabilitation

This again is decided at the port of entry to Canada.

You will be eligible if:

  • You have one or two convictions.
  • That all restitution, time spent in jail, fines, and any fee payments was completed at least 10 years ago.
  • Again, that the offenses committed, were not serious. Also, as above a felony under United States law is considered a serious crime under Canadian law. Therefore, you will not be allowed entry to Canada.
  • Again, if weapons were used, there was physical harm to people or damage done to property, then your application will be unsuccessful.


Please take into consideration that for both the Deemed Rehabilitation and the Streamlined Rehabilitation will need further documentation, if your bid to Canada is to be successful.  To further help you with your attempt to enter Canada you will need the following:


  • Your birth certificate or a United States passport.
  • An identification photo.
  • You must show and prove that the conviction has been satisfied.  There must be copies of all documents that apply to your conviction.
  • If you are a US, having a recently issued FBI identification record.
  • Police certification from the country where you committed the conviction.
  • Further police certificates from any state where you may have had residency for longer than the last 6 months. This applies to a ten-year period,
  • You will have to pay $200 in Canadian dollars or the equivalent to pay for StreamlinedRehabilitation 
  • There are no fees necessary for the Deemed Rehabilitation
Reason why you could be excluded from entering Canada

Across the world, there is a heightened awareness regarding the possibility of a terrorist attack. One of the first lines of defense is immigration control.  Terrorist organizations and groups are getting ever more sophisticated. It is beholden that every countryside does its utmost to prevent this.  Along with this there are drug cartels, people smuggling and general international criminal activity.  Therefore, it is not surprising that Canada has to apply stringent checking procedures at the point of entry, immigration. This is to protect the lives and wellbeing of the citizens of Canada.

Therefore, past criminal offenses will always arouse suspicion, even if these were in the past and you have turned a corner.  This explains why this personal rehabilitation process is so thorough and careful.

For example, the odd parking ticket may not be an issue. A history of dangerous and reckless driving could well raise a few flags and be a cause for concern.

So, preparation is critical as well as specialist legal help.  You will have to convince critical Canadian border officials that any previous misdemeanors were lapses of judgment in the past, and will not cause a threat or a problem, in Canada in the future. This could well be down to the judgment of an official, which could be partly subjective.

These offenses could result in you being denied access to Canada:

  • Driving under the influence, DUI or DWI. Basically, drunk driving.  This if irrespective of the fact that this might have caused an accident.
  • Negligent driving: Bad driving that may be caused by other factors.
  • Domestic violence.
  • Shop lifting or theft.

Maybe in different countries these offenses could be treated differently.  But you will have to abide and accept the Canadian standards, upheld by Canadian law.   If there are any worries or doubts concerning any previous criminal records, then you will be denied entry into Canada.

Yet again, it is paramount to have all you documentation, checked organized and certified by experts in Canadian Immigration law.


If you get through this process, there are certain conditions.  You will be allowed to stay in Canada for less than 30 days.

US Conditions

The following conditions apply:

An application for approval can be filed in the United States of America. However, this may take some time. A period of six months or more, even a year, is typical. So this is not suitable for anyone wanting to make a quick business trip across the US boarder if you had had a previous criminal record of any kind.

There are a number of detailed official Canadian web sites.  This site:

looks at how you can get your entry to Canada approved, even though you might have had a previous criminal record.

To conclude

For those you have only committed a minor misdemeanor, then getting into Canada, should not pose too much of a problem.

For those with more serious criminal offenses there could be away to get personal rehabilitation, but without a lot of specialist legal help and a lot of preparation, this will not happen.